A brief history of 'our' time...
Because of post war changes in the education system, the first students joined the new Dockyard Technical School in 1948 with the Queensway site becoming active in 1949. This was a school in all its sense but during the following years, Dockyard Apprentices start attending.
The 1960s saw great change in the UK's Education system causing developments here too. In 1964, the Dockyard Technical School became the Gibraltar & Dockyard Technical College. It catered for a broader range of subjects at various levels and provided full-time, part-time and day-release courses. It dealt with apprentices, full-time students and technicians. Additionally, the Adult Education programme kicked off too! Up until now, the Gibraltar Government and the M.O.D had met the costs jointly but this too was to change.
During the 1980's the College sees a gradual 'localisation' of posts. Local lecturers replaced UK ex-patriates and in 1985, the Gibraltar Government takes over the running of the College fully. The College now becomes the Gibraltar College of Further Education. During the next few years, it expands into part of the John Mackintosh Hall; only to be moved to the St. George's School site at Queensway, currently Bishop Fitzgerald and Governor's Meadow Schools. Because of the Westside reclamation development, the College is moved again to its current locations, South Bastion and the western part of the John Mac. Hall.
The College today delivers programmes from below GCSE all the way up to Degree standard at professional level. It serves as the main Examination Centre and works with the UK's main Awarding Bodies as well as important professional institutes. Its population continues to grow with close to 400 full-time students, a healthy part-time and day-release contingent as well as an ever-increasing Continuing Education and Professional Development programmes.
The Gibraltar College has served our community in the past and will continue to meet its needs to the best of its ability.